Pages

Monday, September 15, 2008

Vicki Update and new paintings!

I am very happy to announce that Vicki's surgery went well and she is now at home recovering; thanks to all of your well wishes. She is a very sweet person and I am extremely happy she is doing well.


Here are some more paintings in progress from my Suzi class...



I am probably going to add some gold leaf to this, beeswax it and call it a day. I have about 15 layers on it. I couldn't decide what was wrong with it and then the talented Paulette Insall suggested that I highlight the moon and stars to make them stand out a little more. She was totally right; as soon as I did that I felt like the painting was more cohesive. Thanks Paulette!

Oh, Bee Girl...she was a difficult one! I put layers of bronze and gold metallic paint and I totally hated it; everything was too dark and looked muddy. I added tissue, stamps, and stencils and it just looked like a mess, so I put a top coat of cream paint and then wiped some of it off with a damp paper towel. I like it so much better now. I think I am done with it and will beeswax it (how fitting), but who knows; I might add a little stencil of sequin waste to give a honeycomb feel. Stay tuned...

This little sweetie is just starting to come alive. I know she is in love for the first time and so the name of this one will be "Lovestruck." I will start adding layers tonight.

7 comments:

Blaiz said...

Oh yes, definitely add some honeycomb effect to the bee girl.

I haven't completed one full painting for Suzi's class, and you've done how many -- 6 or 8 already?! You're good!

Jo Wholohan said...

loving your ladies, beautiful art xx

Sharon Tomlinson said...

I just enjoyed getting caught up with you. Your new pieces are all great. And I agree with you about the bee girl. I think that would look great.

Lisa Lectura Creations said...

Really cute creations Shonna! I love how Bee Girl turned out!

Creative Blessings,

Lisa :)

3rdEyeMuse said...

they are all terrific and I really do like how "bee girl" is turning out ... I agree, I think a honeycomb effect just might be the perfect touch ... and the new one, "lovestruck" - such a sweet / dreamy expression! well done. :)

Anonymous said...

Just stumbled upon your blog and am very inspired! You are very talented! I always had a fear of drawing people but now feel like going and trying it not worrying of what others will think or say! Thanks for such an inspiring blog!

Periwinkle Pass Studio said...

Shonna, Love them all, but my favorite is the Bee girl. You are doing great.

Tammy