Pages

Monday, October 13, 2008

WE MAKE ART FOR OURSELVES!


When I started this blog in March of this year, I just wanted to document my artistic journey by posting pictures of my work. I didn't really want to use this platform for anything other than that, but something has been on my mind and I can't help but post about it.

As you know (If you are a regular reader of my blog), I was recently involved in an awesome workshop with the amazing and inspiring Suzi Blu. I met a wonderful group of women in this workshop. We had a private forum where we could share our work and chit chat etc. Everyone was so encouraging and helpful towards one another. Really, it was just an awesome experience. I highly recommend taking one of Suzi's workshops! Anyway, by the time class completed, I painted about 4 girlies and recently listed some of them for sale in my Etsy shop. I also posted the pictures to some blog groups I belong. Well I was contacted by one of the group's blog moderators that someone made a comment that she felt she should delete and wanted me to see it. Someone made a nasty comment about my work and said that basically I was riding the coattails of Suzi and that it was pathetic (oh, this person took the time to set up a whole new blogger name with no contact information just to make this comment about my work). This really through me for a loop! Here I just came from this loving and nurturing environment to this nastiness!! The moderator ended up deleting the comment.

I sent Suzi an E-mail about the situation. She (of course) was super cool and sweet about it. She basically reminded me that I don't do art for others, that I do it for myself. Wow, I almost forgot that! I love getting sweet comments about how much people like my art, but honestly, I paint because it satisfies something in my soul! It relaxes me and takes me to another world where everything is beautiful and happy! And yes, I do want to sell my art. Why? Well for a few reasons: 1. It brings me great joy that my art may speak to someone enough for them to want it for their own. 2. For extra money for more art supplies and so I can join workshops like Suzi's (knowledge is power). And, 3. Because frankly, I don't have the room in my house for all of them (LOL).

Well, what does Suzi think about her students selling artwork that has all of the techniques she uses in her artwork you ask? This is what she said: "I'm a teacher it doesn't bother me if girls are selling art that looks like mine. I am okay with that. I'm happy to help women make an income off their creative voice! I don't want to just make art for a living Id rather inspire others." I already knew she felt this way because I asked her at the beginning of the class. If she was NOT OK with it, I would have never listed them in my shop to begin with.



She is so inspiring and is the person that helped me get the nerve almost a year ago to pick up a paintbrush in the first place. Personally, I really don't see that much of a similarity to my girls and hers, but I'm flattered in a way that "nasty-chick" thinks so. I mean seriously, if someone is a fan of Suzi then they are going to buy HER art. No matter how many others have a similar style.

SO, the main reason I decided to write about this is for the other 500+ people that took Suzi's workshop. You may encounter the same thing if you (God Forbid) try and sell art that looks similar to Suzi's. I guess we should learn the techniques she taught us, but do nothing with that knowledge. Just remember that Suzi is OK with you selling the art you made from the techniques she taught you and most importantly, don't forget ..."We make art for ourselves!!"

17 comments:

3rdEyeMuse said...

I am so sorry that you had to be the reciever of nasty girls nastiness ... something NG is forgetting is that ALL the old masters were apprentices prior to being able to use their own names on artwork - they practiced and practiced till their teacher gave the ok ... AND imitation REALLY is the sincerest form of flattery ... PLUS Suzi had a class - her students PAID for her to share her techniques and knowledge (and from what I gather, she was an awesome teacher with tons to share) ... ok, all that said ... I am familiar with Suzi's work (and like it, too) ... you could put 10 of your pieces mixed in with 10 of hers and I would EASILY be able to sort out whos are whos - there are similarities in subject (you both like to paint pretty girls), but that's pretty much it ... so there.

ART ON Sistah-Goddess-Girl!

Lorri said...

Here Here 3rdeyemuse!! I couldn't have said that better.
I also, could tell the work apart - everyone's work comes from somewhere within themselves, and that is a very personal place!
Our art is our art, how we learn, where we learn - I believe we are free to do with it as we please, sell share or otherwise.. ? Throw away in some of my cases.LOL.
Suzi is awesome, I'm wanting to bring her to Australia next year!!!
Congrats on some fabulous art, I love everything you are doing xo

nollyposh said...

YOU GO GIRL!!!
(ps) i'm adopting you as my new ~other~ little sista (if that's ok with yOu!?!) xox
(pps) yOu are a wonderful artist...
wonderful, wonderful, wonderful...
wonderful!

Sandi Keene said...

Great post, Shonna. I too think that while your art may be inspired by Suzi, yours is distinctly yours. No doubt about which is which. Having watched your style evolve over the last 6 months, your voice is yours and yours alone.

Go away, Nasty Girls.

And the painting on this post is GORGEOUS! My favorite of yours EVER. Wow.

We make art for ourselves - perfect.

Unknown said...

You ladies are wonderful!! Thanks for the support!! XOXOXOXOX

Melissa Valeriote said...

Your honesty is refreshing as is your art. Never stop creating!

purplecat said...

Oh Shonna what a horrible person!, some people just go out of their way to be bad. I think that we ALL have our own style on the Suziblu workshop, yes we have learnt from Suzi, but that was the idea-huh? I had sold some work prior to the workshop and I feel my work has improved and evolved now so am going to open an etsy store. My reasons for wanting to sell are the same as yours!!Hold your head high girl do your own thing xx

nolaa gallery said...

well, that is sad that someone was arrogant enough to believe that anything is actually original. WE are all INSPIRED by someone or something and through that we find our own voice.
I think your work is wonderful and not everyone on the planet knows who suzi blu is ( I do and love her ) but, they might know you and be inspired. So Keep on Keeping on!
Enjoy your work for you and if someone else enjoys you, well that is just a little bonus.
No more haters allowed!
:)

nolaa gallery said...

hi again miss shona! Thanks for popping over to my blog! I am glad I updated! LOL! It was lacking for a week.
I am putting you in my fav's too! it looks like we have a lot of common interest in other blogs! Good to meet a kindred spirit.
hugs,
jen

Becky Hilgendorf said...

I agree with Jennifer,we all get inspired somewhere.I was drawn by Suziblu's openness to share.I am so sorry you encountered a nasty girl.(think karma)I am a retired hairdresser,and the very best artists in hair are the ones that share their ideas,just like artists in mixed media.I love what you have done with your art.Thank-you for sharing....
Becky

Blaiz said...

Shonna, I'm sorry you had to hear about those nasty comments. I'm surprised that the moderator felt the need to share that info with you and wonder what her motives were in doing that.

As you know, I recently posted on my blog about someone being needlessly negative. It wasn't about my work, but it was still a shock nonetheless. As I wrote, I just don't get it -- why do people want to be miserable and, more importantly, why do they want other people to be miserable, too?

Your work is your own. Yes, we can see influences from Suzi, but she's one of the best people to emulate! Suzi probably emulates other artists who have influenced her, too.

I recently took a few classes at Art & Soul, and I asked two of my teachers if they'd mind if I used their techniques in work that I intend to sell. They both said they wouldn't mind, as long as I was just using the techniques and not copying their exact work. As if I ever could! As 3rdeyemuse wrote, I could pick your work out of a group of similar paintings by other artists because you have your own unique vision and voice.

Just let the nasty comments go -- those kind of comments usually come from a place of jealousy. That someone is jealous of your ability is kind of cool -- it shows that you're an artist to be watched!

Hugs,
Blaiz

Aimée Wheaton said...

OMG Shonna! WOW didn't even think of that aspect. I took the class too and plan on selling my art, Suzi's so cool like that. We all have our own styles blended in with what Suzi taught us. Sorry you had to deal with NG. Pathetic if you ask me. Your art is wonderful and so are you!! What a great post and reminder!!!! Suzi would be proud chica!!!!

Sandra Evertson said...

Love this piece and the ornaments and boxes below, Fabulous!
Sandra

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

i am sure by now you know that you are ok and your girls are very pretty.
i too am influenced by wonderful people BUT that doesn't mean that I lost my identity, I can the differences and they know i admire them, unfortunately some people leans towards judgment or loose tongue and disconnected brains, so raspberries to them, LOL ;-)
So glad you are participating in my giveaway, thank YOU! I am honored ;-)
i read about your friends and loss. I am so sorry to learn about it.

Linda Vincent said...

This is a beautifully written post Shonna - its so hard to believe that anyone can put all that effort into nastiness. I wonder how she's feeling now...(apart from jealous).
I wish you lots of luck with your etsy venture; you deserve it, your work is beautiful.
Love linda xx

Trish said...

I just found your blog and I was so shocked to read about the nasty comment-My dream is to open up my own shop one day, and I have been practicing (can't afford the class right now) drawing girls (getting inspiration from Suzi and a few others I love)and I want to try painting them too(going to practice in my art journal) I just hate to hear about how mean people can be-I look around and see so many wonderful artists, and allot of them have a similar look, but they still put all of themselves into their work and should be encouraged, not criticized. And Suzi, I just love her-I watch her youtube videos almost every day, it was her videos that inspired me to follow my dream(I thought I was too old before) Ok, I have rambled on here, I am sorry-but I love your work and I wish you all the best!!

Janny said...

I think it's nice to see you made progress after Suzi's classes but you were already making Art! Let people talk. Perhaps some of them are jealous and envy you. Your work is beautiful, so be happy;o)