Pages

Friday, February 27, 2009

Trying New Techniqes and the Worries of a Woman!




NEW TECHNIQUES...

I have been wanting to try a few different techniques for awhile and decided to combine them in this piece. The wonderfully talented and beautiful Jane DesRosier of GrittyArts has been doing a lot of abstract art lately that I have been really enjoying. She recently posted a YouTube video showing how to collage with beeswax, so I gave it a shot. I love the texture this process creates...yummy! Her focal element was a collaged woman, but I decided to draw one of my girlies on a vintage book page instead. Drawing on a book page is the other technique I have been wanting to try. It seems that several mixed media artists are trying this right now, but there is something unique and interesting about it that I really love.

A WOMAN AND HER THOUGHTS...

This piece has a lot of meaning for me. There is so much worry and guilt associated with being a woman and a mother for me. I am always beating myself up about not being the best wife, mother, step-mother, homemaker, artist (and the list goes on). So many thoughts are jumbled up in my head that sometimes it is hard for me to breathe. I am constantly comparing myself to other women and worrying that I am screwing up the lives around me. Am I alone, do you ever feel like no matter what you do, it just isn't good enough... Why do we put such pressure on ourselves? Maybe I will never know the answer...

xoxo
Shonna

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean. I've been feeling the same way lately. I'm sure that I don't have it nearly as hard as you do, being that I don't have children to look after or anything, but I do know what you mean by comparing yourself to others all the time.
I don't know why I put so much pressure on myself either....
I love the new art! It's so beautiful!
Happy Friday!

Blaiz said...

Question myself? Compare myself to others? Me? LOL!

Great new piece, Shonna!

Victorian Lady said...

Sweet Shonna :)

I think we all do that, but in the end all that really shows is that you are doing your best and trying to be the best mom, artist, whatever you can be. You're ambitious! That's okay! :)

That's all any of us can do is try because perfection doesn't exist. Give yourself a pat on the back...you're doing great! :)

Mere

Anonymous said...

I like how smooooth yours turned out!

Sandi Keene said...

Love this new piece. The wax looks wonderful.

Shelly said...

I think that is every womans worry. I am amazed by those who seem to have it all...are they for real? Who really knows...

Lisa Lectura Creations said...

Hi Shonna! Wonderful beeswax collage! She is lovely! Try not to let life get you down. You and your art speaks for itself, true beauty inside and out!

Creative Blessings,
Lisa :)

Muffin Pants said...

Believe me sister, you are faaaaar from alone ;)

Giggles said...

What a lovely piece. Are you ever right, women do carry huge burdens of guilt. Love the colors of your piece. I'm working with that color right now too! Very beautiful!

Peace Giggles

ButterCup said...

very pretty. I have been looking into trying wax. I tried to find the video you were talking about. Can you send me a link?

Unknown said...

Shonna I've gotten past that stage in my life, and I hope you do too...see I'm 66 and my children are all grown, and on their own. I think your art is awesome hon...I so enjoy visitng just to look at all your beautiful work!!!
(((hugs)))
Bevie

nollyposh said...

Just means that you are 'normal' to me X:-)

Paula In Pinetop said...

Looking at what you've posted here, I think this piece is your very best.
The facial features, the eyebrows combined with the other techniques you've used all come together to make for a really interesting piece. Congratulations ! Success !

I always laugh about being a parent. My favorite saying is "pack your bags because you're going on a guilt trip !". Seems like as parents we perpetually question ourselves.

You can only do the best you know how to do.