Pages

Monday, April 5, 2010

Artfest....Day One

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to post about my trip to Artfest in Seattle, but my head is still spinning from all of the wonderful people I met and great classes I took.

Fort Worden is so beautiful and historic. I just loved being there, but I wish I had more time to walk around and explore the grounds.

The Castle: According to the legend, Reverend John Alexander built the castle for a prospective Scottish bride in a style reminiscent of his native country. In 1883, he acquired 10 acres of land near Point Wilson and constructed the building known as Alexander's Castle. Alexander intended the building to serve as a home for him and his bride. Traveling to Scotland to get his bride, Alexander found that his bride-to-be had married another. He returned to Port Townsend alone and used the building as a temporary residence.


Closer to the center of things were the bunkers. This is where I stayed. Luckily I didn't have to haul all of my crap up those stairs. They had these wonderful young men to help us with our luggage. I shared a room with two other ladies and our windows were the two on the right just up the stairs.



This was the beautiful view from the grounds.


First Day/Class: Jesse Reno. Wow, what an inspiring artist! He paints mostly with his hands and then uses a few oil pastels and a big black pencil. He is so intuitive and passionate about his paintings; you can really tell that he loves what he does. He taught me so much about letting go and not getting too attached to a piece and to be willing to change the whole thing if necessary. He suggested I "attack" my piece by painting over the left side of the face and do something else with it. I am still working up the courage to do that. I've decided that when I grow up, I want to be just like Jesse Reno (minus the dreds).

Here is what he started with...


And here is what he ended with...


Here is my piece. I think I finally understand why he suggested I get rid of the left side, but it took me the end of the day to really "get" it. By that time, I had worked so long on the piece, that it will be hard to change it.



Stay tuned, I am going to post more soon. I have lots more to share!!!

9 comments:

Diane said...

OH MY GOODNESS--this is so cool!!!

Buffy said...

Wow,I love your piece,very cool. And I can't wait to hear more about your trip! Hurry!!

Shelly said...

Love seeing your painting. I hope he teaches next year, I'm going to work up the courage to take his class! :) Can't wait to hear about the rest of your adventures!

Shelly said...

P.S. I see a bird - the right eye! :)

Sunny Carvalho said...

I loved the Jesse class as well. He was so fun and is sooooo talented!! My style is so different than his, so it helped me to sort of "let go" in his class as well. It REALLY helped me on Iron Chef night!!

I loved meeting you. You are such a talented woman. I was so impressed with your drawings and painting! I can't wait to see more!

~Sunny~

Micki Wilde said...

I am so jealous right now, if I could take an art class with anyone at all, it would be Jesse Reno!!! Love that guy!!

Micki x

thekathrynwheel said...

Thanks for visiting my blog - I'm glad you did because it led me to yours :-) Your art is wonderful and I'll be back to see more of what you do. Kate

Shopgirl said...

Your trip must have been so wonderful and the piece you did is really stunning. Can't wait to see more of your trip.
Hugs, mary

susan said...

love, love it. you did get it!