Pages

Sunday, May 1, 2011

When Art Becomes Work

All of a sudden I have been receiving requests for custom artwork. It's funny how you will go months without any interest in your work and then all of a sudden...BAM! I'm kind of up in the air about custom work. I love making art for people, but sometimes I just want to work in my journal and make art for me. When you are asked to make something specific for someone, it becomes more like a job rather than from the heart. Does that make any sense? Do any of you ever feel that way with your art?


I was also asked to donate a piece to help raise money for my local Children's Museum. I did this last year and was honored that they asked me to donate again this year. I really had fun with this painting. It is pretty large (16X20) and I added a lot of 3D embellishments and texture. I hope they are able to raise a lot of money for the piece and that it goes to a good home. I dropped her off at the museum a week ago and I miss her already! :(





13 comments:

Blaiz said...

It's nice to see you back! The painting is beautiful. I know exactly what you mean about custom work feeling like work. I gave up working with polymer clay because I got so many requests for custom pieces. It stopped being a pleasure and only felt like drudgery and pressure. Congrats on the weight loss, too!

Sunny Carvalho said...

Oh, how I hate custom work (although I find myself unable to turn it down!!) and the absolute worst is getting paid up front! At that point the money is already spent and you still have the work to do! Last Christmas I did 5 commissions...I was so glad when it was over!
Your piece for the museum is fabulous! Her face is simply gorgeous.

Dori Patrick said...

Greetings from Iowa! Happy to find your lovely blog through Sunny's blog! I know exactly what you mean about custom orders. I just freeze up and put them off for as long as i possibly can. I hate saying no...but I'm getting better at it.

Linda said...

Hi there...Just found your blog. Love your work. I added your blog to my google reader but it's coming up odd looking with images missing and the most recent entry as March 14th. Any thoughts?

Leticia said...

Sweet painting! Happy to see that all your hard work is paying off.

Heather Foust said...

Oh Wow Shonna I love this piece!!! It is awesome!!! Like I told you not too thrilled about custom work. Too much pressure for me. Too worried if they are going to like it or not. Argh! I like it when they see and say thats what I want. I miss you Shonna Girl!!!Your work is amazing!!!

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful piece to donate! I'm sure your work will go far in raising money. I feel similar about commissioned work - it feels very much like a job. I dragged my feet horribly on a commission once. But when I was asked to donate a piece created with a specific theme in mind it went very quickly. Best of luck to you for the custom work!

nollyposh said...

She is ~gorgeous~

Carlene said...

Just found your work on You Tube. Love it. I am self-taught also and am now a follower.

Shelley Whiting said...

Your art is very whimsical and magical. I love the texture. Beautiful work.

I hate to cook! said...

very pretty and I love the colors :)

SunnyB said...

Hi there from the UK. Found your site whilst researching Suzi-Blu stuff. Your work is excellent and I admire anyone who can draw and end up with such beautiful work. Not sure if you are still blogging but have joined ur site for inspiration. Thanks for sharing your talents :)

Jenn said...

Shonna, she is so beautiful. I had so much fun doing art with you this week. Thank you for helping and inspiring me. The best part of the week was us all getting our tattoos. So much fun. A wonderful memorie we created!! Your painting you are working on of Pricilla is adorable, I know Abbie will love it and your almost done with it so you can get back to your art journals now...love you, Mom